General summer camp 2023 information!
Booking is open now click here!
Thank you so much for your interest in Vortex Studio summer camp. This year we are excited to offer 8 weeks of camp June 26th – August 18th. This year we are running 3 groups of Art camp and 2 groups of Fun camp per week.
Please see more info below about:
- Camp location,price & contact info
- How to book – Booking open’s february 22nd at 7:00pm
- Waiting list
- Kinds of camps we offer art & fun camp
- Information about groups and group names
- extreme weather
- Before and after care
- Refund policy
- Forms needed
- What to bring to camp
Vortex Studio Summer Camp 2023!
Location: Vortex Studio – 903 River Side Drive – In backyard, in wedding tents
Before and after care: available for a fee – Start time 7:30am – 5:30pm (see info below)
Cost- Full day camp – $360 per child- Plus online booking service fee $9. All supplies included – Note we do not issue R24 forms as we are not a full time daycare
Number of Groups on grounds: 1-5 per week.
Camp age – We welcome campers age 5-15 at Vortex however, each week and group have different age requirements please see the schedule for more information
Language: Camp instructions are given in English. We can definitely offer a French junior counselor as a translator if required and advance notice is given.
Contact info– Stella Pagani owner or Manager TBD
416 629 6504
Booking Summer camp
Booking opens Wednesday February 22nd at 7:00pm Online. The above pink link will take you to our square space page where you can book and pay for camp.
Notes about booking frequently asked questions
-Please call or email us with any questions 416 629 6504 firstname.lastname@example.org.
-Note that sometimes when booking on a phone square (booking site) freezes so we recommend using a computer vs tablet if you are in a rural area. If you have problems still after refreshing the page call us and will try and do it on the back end.
-If you would like your child to be in the same group as a friend PLEASE make sure you both book the same animal eg- flamingo. Our groups do not mix and we can not move children once camp is booked unless you refund your spot and re book it in the new group if there is availability.
-If you are trying to get a large group of friends in one camp group we recommend one parent books all the spots and then sends an email CCing the parents to vortex to let us know. This is the only way you can assure it won’t sell out and let people down.
-We do Require forms ASAP once you book camp please click here to get them.
Please read all the info below about camp before booking
-If you are interested in a week that is sold out please email us to join the waiting list. With the date, theme and animal you are interested in.
PLEASE READ To better understand our camps, themes, and groups
Understanding the names of the groups and why we do them.
-We have 5 wedding tents at Vortex Studio that we run camp in each week.
-Each group/tent has a different animal name, counselor and project theme.
-The groups of children in each tent do not tend to spend time with other tents as they are doing different projects.
-We have decided to name each tent so that parents know what group their child is in. When booking you know what to tell friends to ensure your children will be together as the tents to not mix as activities are drastically different.
-This also aids when dropping off and picking up the children you can easily see your leader in the parking lot as they are dressed up with a sign and stuffy so you can pick them out in the crowd.
-When its time to book on the square site you will see the tent’s name first beside the date. EG – June 27-30 Zebra- epic art, to make sure you are booking the right camp.
-We have also colour coded everything to easily see what you are booking art- blue vs fun – green
Leopard, Zebra, Flamingo – Art camp
Koala & Unicorn – Fun camp
Unicorn- Specialty camp by industry leader
Epic Art Camp – This is our best known art camp we have been running for 6 years. Campers spend 90% of their time getting creative and messy! We make new and exciting art and craft projects all day. Trying everything from drawing and painting, to clay, 3D crafts, nature crafts, collage, spray paint, beading, sewing, messy day, and SOO much more! This camp is for your art loving kid. They get to try so many projects and work at their own pace and difficulty. We spend our full day making, usually only stopping to eat, lounge in hammocks under the tree, and clean up. Please note this camp does not include much play or non-art games or include lots of physical activity. We have tried but all these students want to do is make art! This is important to note when booking so that you find a good fit for your child. It is also an amazing time for your child to meet like-minded new creative friends! All art projects can be geared towards different skill levels and abilities. **Please note these campers tend to come home with lots of art! Please make sure you have an empty car on Friday for pick up. When looking at our schedule the Epic Art-based camp will be the groups with the leaders – ‘Zebra’ , ‘Leopard’ or flamingo – Below all Art Camp titles will have the blue highlighted title of their leader.
Themed art camp – Every year we offer themed weeks. Different kinds of art based camps with projects that lend themselves to a particular theme or subject or they are geared towards a particular age group. Similar to “All of the Art Camp” we still spend 90% of our time making artwork and still try all different kinds of mediums its just they are directed towards a certain kind of idea or goal. When looking at the schedule below these camps will be highlighted in light blue, and will be run by the leader Zebra, Leopard or Flamingo.
Fun time camp! – THIS IS NOT ART CAMP – Fun camp is for all the amazing kiddos that are looking for the whimsical Vortex experience but without the art element. If you have siblings where one loves art and the other loves play this is a great way to keep them at the same camp! Fun time camp is a unique silly camp that embodies creative outside play, every toy you can imagine lots of games, nature exploring, getting messy, wild, and weird! Campers will enjoy our freestyle play area with all the games, tell stories, and our counselors will run all kinds of playful activities. For 2023 we will have light self-directed craft projects available however it will be a very small part of the week about 10%. We will have more emphasis on physicality and spontaneity, while still embodying the visual Vortex landscape. Our fun camp tents will be in the very back zone of Vortex in the ‘woods’, set up with couches instead of assigned tables with game zones and a craft table. We have lots of sport options in our big field as well as hammock chill zones for rest time. When looking at our schedule the Fun Time Camp will be highlighted in green, with the leader will be Koala.
Themed fun camp – Similar to the above description of fun camp we will also be running themed fun camp. Children will get all the joys of fun camp but also be offered a special theme that will bring like minds together. During these weeks we might put more emphasis of the theme and activities pertaining to it vs freestyle play and other games. But we definitely make sure that everyone has time to do activities they are excited for. When looking at our schedule the Fun Time Camp will highlighted in light greenwith the leaders Unicorn
Specialty Camp by leaders in their field. Note* These are independent contractors renting Vortex tents and not Vortex staff, however we love them and stand behind their programming 100% ! However you will need to contact them directly to discuss any questions pertaining to their camp programing. Please see more info in camp description in the schedule. When viewing their camp in the schedule it will be with leader unicorn and will be highlighted in yellow. Note pricing might vary for these camps.
Camp Schedule 2023
Click here to read the full 2023 schedule and theme outline
Zebra- Youth/teen art challenge- interactive public art, murals & mixed-media epic art with Stella age 9- 15
Leopard- All of the Epic art age 5-12- age 5-12
Koala- Fun camp age 5-12
Unicorn – Yoga, art & movement with lori age 5-10
July 3-7th 2023
Flamingo- All of the Epic art age 5-12
Zebra- Large scale painting/mixed media- spray paint, acrylic, watercolor and more age 7-14
Leopard –Creative art camp- LGBTQ+ and ally addition age 8-13
Unicorn –Crafts to play with at home – crafts and play FUN camp age 5-10
Koala- Fun camp age 5-10
Flamingo – Fairytales & silly creatures ART camp- age 5-8
Leopard- Mythical creatures & fantasy epic art camp age 7-12
Zebra- Epic art camp age 5-12
Koala- Fun camp age 5-10
Unicorn – Fairytale- dress up, crafts and play FUN camp age 5-8
Flamingo- Youth and teen epic art 9-14
Zebra- Disney inspired art making, painting, drawing, crafts, dress up, sing along age 5-12
Leopard – Epic art age 5-12
Unicorn – Move your body fun camp – age 5-12
Koala- Crafts and play fun camp age 5-10
Leopard – Epic art age 5-12
Zebra- Cool bedroom crafts age 7-13
Flamingo- Super hero epic art age 5-10
Koala- FUN camp age 5-10
Unicorn- Fun camp – Games lovers addition age 5-12
July 31-august 4th
Zebra- Epic art – age 5-12
Leopard- Glitter, Glue guns and gold- Epic craft camp age 6-12
Flamingo- Animals and nature epic art age 5-12
Koala- Nature lovers fun camp age 5-12
Unicorn- Glow girls camp with Lori age 9-14
Leopard- Epic art- age 5-12
Flamingo- Jurassic park inspired art making age 7-12
Zebra- Little diva/divo epic art & craft camp – The dramatic dress up fashion lovers camp! Age 5-12
Unicorn- Pottery/art camp with bhajan age 8-12- $391.40
Fun camp age 5-10
Zebra- Epic art – age 5-12
Leopard- Messy messy art! Age 5-12
Unicorn- Move your body fun camp – age 5-12
If you are interested in a week that is full please email us to join the waiting list. With the date and theme you are interested in. email@example.com
When booking camp we will require that you fill out:
-A child emergency contact form. We need this as soon as you book camp to hold your spot at camp to get forms please click here
We will need these forms at least 2 weeks before camp starts – If applicable
– A before and after care form if needed – you can book last minute however elevated fees apply
– Child pick up form if relevant for friends and family to safely pick up your child
– If relevant – Medical release form for any medication that needs to be taken or issued on site including an epi pen or inhaler
Vortex is a peanut free location – please do not pack nuts in lunches
Single Camp group sizes will depend on age groups.
We will be respecting the government’s child care ratio guidelines.
Camp will be fully outside and open air in wedding tents.
Washrooms are inside Vortex studio building. We take campers throughout the day on washroom runs.
In the case of extreme weather
-Thunderstorm- tornado warning ect.. We will bring the children inside the studio. If it is persistent, really extreme or dangerous we will call parents to pick up the children.
Can Siblings be in two different camp groups? Yes definitely. We request that you fill out two emergency contact forms. One for each child for paper work purposes.
-All booking will be done online this year
-As of February 22nd at 7:00pm we will be taking online bookings for 2023 camp. At this time you can click on the book now tab at the top of this page and it will bring you to our online store where you can choose and pay for your camp.
Refunds or exchanges will also be online. Stella is unable to change a date of camp in office you will have to do it by emailing us and requesting a refund and then rebooking the new selection online.
Before and After Camp Child Care.
- Before and after Camp Child Care will be available but is priced based on how far in advance you book it. Please make sure to fill out a before and after care form as soon as you know you will need care. We will send you an invoice at the beginning of the following week for your care.
- – There will absolutely be no staff present to watch a child unless booked ahead of time unless it is an emergency after care if that is the case we charge an emergency fee for the care.
- Emergency care absolutely not available in the mornings as we do not have staff on site until 8:15 unless we have advanced before care requests.
- You must submit a before and after care form if requiring care. Click here to get form -Please indicate your camp group and date as well as the Childs name and name on credit card when booking camp so we can pair it with your online file.
- Before and After care if booked in advance is $15/hour for one Child, OR $10 per hour PER SIBLING. It must be booked TWO WEEKS before their care date to get this rate.
- You must pay for the full hour regardless if you pick up halfway through. If you have requested care. You will be billed for the hours requested as well as any additional care used. Please let us know ASAP if anything changes on your form as we will need to notify staff.
- Before Care is available starting at 7:30am This MUST be booked at least a week before because no one will be onsite at this time unless they are scheduled.
- After Care is available until 5:30 pm
- -> If booking care the same week as camp it’s $20/hour per child (with little notice we cannot guarantee this will be available because of staffing).
- If childcare is needed the same day without notice it is $25 an hour. We will consider this emergency care. If we do not hear from you we will call emergency contacts if we cannot get ahold of the guardian.
- Our age groups are very structured for camp due to project difficulty or theme. It’s non negotiable, we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Vortex Studios camp requires campers to be at least the minimum age required on the schedule the first day of camp. For example child turns age 5 on june 29th but the first day of camp is the 28th. That child can not join that group until its birthday because of insurance.
- All art campers MUST be able to use a glue gun alone, tie a knot, and be able and willing to work on art projects for at least 90 minutes.
- The minimum age for a camper at vortex studio is 5 years old for insurance.
Covid 19 And summer camp.
- TBD – we do not know what or if the government restrictions will be at the time of summer camp 2023. We will follow them and always keep everyone’s safety first. We will send registered families more information if anything changes when we are closer to camp starting.
● We will always be following Quebec Government Covid-19 guidelines and we will adapt and change as they change.
Summer 2023- We will not require staff or students to wear masks unless the government mandates them. We understand every family has there own personal feelings towards masks and we welcome your child to do what your family thinks is best – be it “to mask or not to mask”.
Refund policy 2023
Refund policy UNRELATED to Covid government shut downs
-We offer full refunds up to 5 weeks before summer camp start date.
-We will be offering 75% refunds minus the booking fee of $10 up to 4 weeks before summer camp.
-3 weeks before camp we can offer a 50% refund.
– Any time after 14 days before camp unfortunately we can not offer a refund or credit of any kind.
-In the case of your child or someone in your household has covid 19 OR hand foot/mouth we kindly ask that your child stay home as to not potentially spread to other campers or staff. When missing camp due to extreme sickness we offer the “camp art kit for each day missed” OR a 50% vortex gift card to be used towards vortex programming or art kits.
–We are sorry we are not able to offer a refund or larger credit. We understand this policy is not ideal, however because of our unique programing there are extremely high expenses and supply costs, staff prep work, that go into running camp. We hope that you understand.
In the event your child can not attend camp -We are happy to transfer a camp spot to another child that you have facilitated if you are no longer able to attend, as long as that child meets the age requirements of the group and we receive notice that the change has been made, and we receive their emergency contact form 7 days before the camp start date. Please note in this case the person holding this camp spot must make all the arrangements, Vortex studio will not take responsibility for finding a replacement. We also need an email with both party’s explaining the transfer and contact info as well as emergency contact forms.
Government issued COVID closure refund policy (relevant February- September 1st 2023)
- -In the case that the government does not allow any camp at all due to regional shut downs we will refund 85% of payment until May 15th.
- -After May 15th we are in full planning and ordering mode and will only be able to offer 65% refund, even if there are any government issued closures or capacity restrictions.
- -After June 5th we can only refund 50% upon a government closure.
- -Please note in the case of a government shut down we are unable to supply the camp art kit that is only for: positive covid cases, a child awaiting results, or a covid case in the child’s group causing shut down.
- –We are sorry we are not able to offer a refund or credit towards another year. We understand this policy is not ideal, however because of our unique program there are extremely high expenses and supply costs, staff prep work, and covid expenses that go into running camp and if we don’t implement this policy we would not run camp at all this year. We hope that you understand.
What to bring to camp
We are really looking forward to spending another creative, happy, healthy, safe summer with all of you!