Relive your memories
“…Lost memories, treasured photos, special days, links to the past…” Dream up your own commission using your precious photos of family, friends, pets, events, or even your own treasured objects! The possibilities are as endless as your imagination.
Paintings make fantastic gifts or treasured mementos that are truly unique and intimate to whom and what your care most about. I can use your beloved photographs, use chosen flower photos, or I can photograph a place or item near and dear to your heart to create an original work of art.
- Please see bellow for examples of past commissions. Note: if you love one of our flower paintings but would like a different size or colour pallet just let us know we can definitely do that!
- Please see http://www.thepaintedphotograph.com for a full portfolio of Stellas work.
- follow us on instagram to keep up to date with real time news and “story’s” @vortexstudio @stellapaganipaintings
- book a studio visit to see the paintings in person 416 629 6504
Please see below for examples of past commissions. As well as frequently asked questions about “the painted photograph” process.
We are now taking commissions to be finished in summer 2021
Frequently Asked Questions:
What materials do you use? I use: pine-wood artist panels or archival artist paper, Xeroxed colour photocopy of your personal photographs or images from my archive, archival adhesive and acrylic paint, pastels, crayons, grease pencils, permanent markers and sometimes spray-paint.
Or I use printer friendly watercolour paper with watercolour paint, pastels and water-soluble supplies to achieve a misty foggy romantic look. Note: We do not take care of framing however we can recommend a framer.
What are the size ranges that you can accommodate? I am very accommodating with size, working with anything from 5×7 inches – 10ft x 10 ft I can also do home murals but that would be a separate conversation.
How much do the panels weigh? The wood panels that I use are very light often weighing between 5 and 15 pounds. Paper Painting would need to be framed so the weight would depend on your frame.
How much do the art works cost? For commissions prices vary based on a few elements. Primarily size and hours of work, materials, number of photos, and turn around time are large factors. Most large commissions are broken down by a price per square foot x supply cost x collaging hours and run between $1000-$2500.00 + for a larger artworks on wood. Smaller artworks on paper or under 3 feet with 3 images or less we usually start around $250-$900 But please contact me with your ideas or a budget in mind and I can give you a more detailed quote. Also see the price chart below. We really strive to accommodate all budgets.
Where are you based out of? Wakefield Quebec, Canada. 25 min out of downtown Ottawa.
Can you ship artwork though-out Canada and Internationally? Yes, because they are on wood panels or paper the artwork ships nicely. We will just need to work out shipping.
How long does it take to make my painting? Most large artworks often the painting will be done between 6- 9 weeks. Small ones there is a 3-5 week turn around. Time is Based on the time of year it is ordered-Please not we do not usually take orders to be finished June-September as we are running summer camp. Most shortest turn around time is between January- March.
Do you only do paintings? No I have also done wall murals, Dishware (Plates, Bowls, Mugs ) I also sell hand painted and poured cement candles and flowerpots. I Also have a degree in Photography so I do a lot of family and pre pregnancy photoshoots.
-What I will need from you and how we get started on your new one-of-a-kind work of art!
- Email or call Stella and let her know you are looking to do a commission. Let us know if you have an idea of the size you would like OR if you have photos you would definitely like to use. Also let us know if there is a budget you would like to stay around. email@example.com
- If we are using YOUR special treasured photos we will need to choose 1-20 (depending on size) HIGH QUALITY (not taken from social media as it breaks down the pixels) photographs that work well together, ones that can be collaged that lends itself to a complementary collaging formation. Please send me LOTS of potential photo options as some might work more nicely then others.
- Once we receive the photos Stella will send you 3 price quote for the project. For 3 similar sizes.
- You will then choose the size that works best for you.
- We will then sign a contract confirming agreement and you will pay half of the agreed price.
- Stella will then send you 3+ thumbnails of the potential collaged composition/ layout of the painting
- Once composition is chosen Stella will glue down the images and start painting. This is when the “number of weeks to completion” starts.
- Half way though painting she will touch base with photos and you can add colour changes.
- Pick up final painting. final payment.
Visual reference of the steps
Step 1 If we are using YOUR special treasured photos we will need to choose 3-10 HIGH QUALITY (not taken from social media as it breaks down the pixels) photographs that work well together, ones that can be collaged that lends itself to a complementary collaging formation. Please send me LOTS of potential photo options as some might work more nicely then others.
-At this time we will also discuss the desired size of the art work. Please note All artworks are done on pine wood panels or Artist paper as they are photo based and must be done on a hard surface. (NOTE. the wood panels are not heavy they often weigh between 5 and 10 pounds.)
For example -> Step 1 – Choosing photos
step 2. Once the most complementary images are chosen I make zeroxes of them so as not to damage the originals and to gain the desired size for the panel. (Note in most cases i will blow up the size of the photographs when working on frames larger then 3 feet.)
At this point we are deciding on the composition of the art work on the panel.
Step 4. once all the collaging and lay out is done I start paining & using pasel’s and mixed media supplies.
Step 5. Varnish. I always varnish my finished paintings to make sure they are sealed and and the photos will never lift. You will choose – Gloss, Semi gloss or Mat varnish. NOTE if your painting will be facing a window we do not recommend gloss varnish as you will get lots of sheen.
Examples of past commissions
Series of 4 paintings for patron’s 3 children of the family farm