MARCH BREAK 2023 EPIC ART CAMP
Come spend March break at Vortex Studio. We are so excited to host another march break with all our art loving students for our 5th annual season! Join us for a full week or just a single day. Make sure to book early as our space is extremely limited this time of year.
Things to note- March break epic art camp is EPIC art making! Meaning we make alot of art all day long, 85% of our time is spent making artwork and crafts. We definitely try and spend time playing outside during lunch time or before home time however it is weather dependent in the winter and also sometimes really hard to get our art-loving-inside-loving friends to go outside… So do keep this in mind when booking. It is also important to note that art making is messy so please dress in clothing that children can create freely in. No favorite outfits at vortex unless its a smock!
Vortex Studio Camp info
- Time 9:00-3:00pm
- Location – Vortex Studio 903 Ch River Side Drive Wakefield QC
- Cost -$360 per week or $75 per day All supplies included
- Age 5-12 – We make sure that each child is accommodated with projects that are age appropriate and challenge them within their skill level.
- Language – Camp runs in English but we have bilingual staff so please email us and let us know you would like a bilingual staff
- Before and after care available for a extra fee.
- All booking is done via Square online payment- please click link above to book
- Each day will have new and exciting art projects to focus on
MARCH BREAK SCHEDULE
Monday March 6th – 3D arts and crafts
Today’s theme is bringing the artwork off the page and into the 3D! Students will work with cardboard, clay, plasticine and more to make artwork that really pops!
Tuesday March 7th – Drawing, painting mixed media- Come use all the supplies!
Today is a day to get familiar with lots of art supplies! Watercolour paint, Watercolour pastels, Paint markers pastels, acrylic, and much more. This is the day for dirty hands learning though freestyle activities. Make sure to come in messy clothing because today you will need it. (Bath night after this day)
Wednesday March 8th – Paper and photo based art and mixed media
We are getting the scissors out! We will be making amazing artworks based around paper and photographs and all the amazing things you can transform them into! Image transfer, collage, tissue paper stained glass, paper beads and more. This day revolves around thinking outside of the box.
Thursday March 9th – Painting & drawing party
Today we paint a lot! students will work on paper and canvas getting a full understanding of what all the different kinds of paint do. We will be doing step by step paintings, free style and abstract. It will be sure to bring out all of the creativity. Please dress for a mess!
Friday March 10th – Messy, glitter, glue gun day! Fun bedroom crafts-
Do your children love the glue gun? Most do! and today it’s on all day, We will be decorating fun useful decor items to jazz up a cool bedroom. This is a great workshop for the kids that just LOVE crafting with all kinds of stuff that makes a mess at home.
All artwork made will go home with the child at the end of each day.
Note- If you have attended holiday art camp 2023 we will have different projects even though some of the days themes are similar!
Things to note:
Note – We don’t have an exact lesson plan to share for each day yet as it will strongly depend on the students that sign up, age range and preferences they have for projects. Our courses are fluid and as we are such a small community Stella knows most of her students and does programming based on them.
**Please make sure to dress in messy clothing as paint gets everywhere! And because of Covid 19 we are not providing smocks at this time.
– Provincial Covid 19 protocols. Children/youth will be required to follow the Quebec guidelines in place at the time of camp. (January 2023 currently no rules in place) Vortex Studio will provide all students with personal art supplies to use during camp. All our staff and volunteers are vaccinated. Children will be sharing tables. We welcome families to decide on their personal comfort level regarding masks. Vortex Studio takes Health and safety VERY seriously we kindly ask you please do keep your child at home if they are showing any flu like symptoms.
Vortex Studio – What to bring to winter camp and general information Packet 2023
Thank you so much for your interest in Vortex Studio Camp. We apologize that it is so long but we would like to ensure that everyone is on the same page in such a unique time. This is our way of keeping your children and our staff safe.
Please see info below about
- Camp hours, location, contact info..
- What to bring to camp,
- Camp rules,
- Pick up and drop off
- Art pick up
- Before and after care
- refund policy
Location:Vortex Studio – 903 RiverSide Drive – In studio
Before and after care: available for a fee – Start time 7:30am – 5:30pm
Cost- $360 per week or $75 per day Supplies included – Note we do not issue R24 forms
Number of Groups on grounds: 1
Camp age– 5-12
- Contact info– email@example.com
- call 416 629 6504 http://www.vortexstudio.ca
- FB & instagram: @vortexstudio —> Want to see what we are doing at camp during the
- Follow our stories on instagram to see all our cool projects @vortexstudio
When booking camp we will require that you fill out
- -A child emergency contact form- see link on website please email it to us ASAP
- -A before and after care form if needed– will note if you need it or will not need care for the week of camp. emailed
- -Child pick up form if relevant emailed
- Medical information form – If relevant- In the case the child needs to take medication, epipen, inhaler
We must have your signed “Emergency contact form” to hold a spot
- within 48 hours of booking.
- This form must be filled out with all your child’s information so we can review it and file it before camp starts.
Pick up and drop off:
- We will have a pick up and drop off at the front door of Vortex Studio outside. We ask that parents try not to come inside as its a tight space.
- We ask that you wait in a line when picking up your child to not overcrowd the entrance area. Your child’s name will be given to the JR counselor and they will notify our staff who is to come and meet their parents. Or we will be outside playing and we will bring the artwork & bags out to you.
- Drop off in the morning will be between 8:55 and 9:05.
- PLEASE do not drop off your child before 8:55am unless you have before care scheduled. We will not have staff ready to care for your child before this time.
- If you require before care this can be arranged for a fee and we request that you set it up beforehand by sending the before and after care form.
Please DO NOT park in front of the studio door as families need to come in and out. Please drive slowly in the parking lot as children and animals might be present. Please note that the parking lot might be icy.
Vortex Camp Rules and guidelines
Vortex takes safety and respect very seriously. Please go over the rules with your child before attending camp.
- Respect of yourself, our staff, the studio, the art supplies
- Safety – Never put yourself or others in harm’s way, do not:
- Run with scissors
- Aimlessly wander around the studio because of the art supplies it can be dangerous
- Play by the pond
- Kick on the swings
- Play by the road or leave the camp area
- Squirt others with paint
- Play with a hot glue gun when its on
- Do something continuously after another camper or staff requests that you stop
- You MUST stay in the camp zone at all times unless you are being picked up or dropped off by a guardian. Or unless the group with team leaders is with you. We will not tolerate children leaving the space unattended or hiding. 2 strikes and we will have to send them home for the day.
- ● Cleaning. Always clean up after yourself after you are done a project. Leaving the space as you found it. You must clean up all of your food garbage
- ● Inside Voices. Always be respectful of others. We must use inside voices when we are in the tent. No yelling please. When asking a question or making a comment please raise your hand.
- *Always eat in view of a buddy. You must always be sitting when eating so as to not choke.
- ● Keeping our hands to ourselves. – Never hit, push or be unkind to ourselves or others
- Pets. Please do not pick up the pets.
- -> Vortex now has a 3 strikes policy before a child will be sent home. If we do see unkind or disrespectful behaviour we will notify parents. If a child is sent home for the day we do not issue a refund.
- ● first time – though email
- ● second time – phone call
- ● third to pick up the child for the day.
★ This is to ensure a positive and safe environment for all our campers, animals and staff
Mask and Cover 19 guidelines
What to bring- please pack everything on the list
– CLOTHING THEY CAN GET MESSY! Paint and dirt ALWAYS finds its way to nice clothing. Please note we do use acrylic paint and it DOESN’T come off clothing.
An extra set of clothing in case something gets wet or dirty – this happens a lot.
Slippers or indoor shoes. we won’t have boots on in the studio as its to wet.
At least 2 – Snacks for break time – Note we will not be able to heat up food.
A water bottle
Outdoor appropriate clothing
Hat, snow pants, gloves, scarf
Optional – Noise cancelling headphones or a personal headphone music device such as an iPod to aid in personal focusing if you think it would be beneficial (Note we will not be giving access to wifi. We will also not tolerate devices being used as a toy or games being played. Devices used as a negative distraction will be taken away for the day and returned at home time. It is a focusing tool only.
- Up to 5 small personal calming items in a bag for quiet time such as a book, sketchbook, IQ game, dolly, toy, polly pocket ect.. This is what they will have access to when we have relaxation time.
- After care children should bring items to play with at this time as we do not do art projects facilitated by staff. Please also pack extra snacks.
Thank you so much for reviewing all the information. – The Vortex Team
Covid 19 and Refunds
Refund policy unrelated to Covid (If no government-mandated Covid shutdowns or restrictions occur.)
- Cancellations: We will be offering 100% refunds minus the booking fee ($10) up to 4 weeks before camp.
- 3 weeks before camp we can offer a 75% refund. 14 days before camp we can offer 60% Any time after 7 days before camp we are unable to offer a refund or credit.
If we have a government issued shut down we will offer a full credit on a gift card for later use.
If a child is unable to attend camp due to sickness or Covid or RSV in the house we can offer art kits for the days that are missed Or a 60% gift card for the missed course.
We kindly request that you do not send sick children to camp. If they are showing any signs of Covid 19, flu or RSV, please refrain from sending them to camp.
Please call us with any questions at all prior to booking. Please refrain from emailing questions. Stella- 416 629 6504
Before and After Camp Child Care.
- Before and after Camp Child Care will be available but we strongly request that it is booked ahead of time.There will absolutely be no staff present to watch a child unless booked ahead of time unless it is an emergency.
- Before and After care is $15/hour PER Child and must be booked TWO WEEKS before their care date. You must pay for the full hour regardless if you pick up halfway through.
- Before Care is available starting at 7:30am
- After Care is available until 5:30 pm
- -> If booking Emergency Care (same week) of camp it’s $20/hour per child (we cannot guarantee this will be available as groups cannot be mixed because of covid regulations and staffing is extremely limited and is not guaranteed).
- If childcare is needed same day without notice it is $25 an hour. We will consider this emergency care.
- We will settle up for care the week after care via email.